The St. Nicholas Church Choir has always been an integral part of the life of the church, providing the necessary leadership for congregational singing at all church services. In 1958, Stephen Platko, a Northwestern University graduate with a Master’s Degree in Music, became the first choir director. Under his guidance, the choir learned many new arrangements of traditional church music, including original compositions written by Mr. Platko. To encourage congregational participation, services were sung in English, rather than the traditional Slavonic language.In addition to singing the liturgical services, choir members sing for weddings, funerals, and for any special services that are held. These included mission services, the ordination into the priesthood of one of our parishioners, John Platko, Jr., Father John Kuchta’s 25th and 50th anniversaries into the priesthood, and Sunday of Orthodoxy services with the choirs of All Saints Greek Orthodox Church and St. George Serbian Orthodox Church. In past years, during the Christmas season, the choir members visited all homes in the parish to sing Christmas carols, and spread holiday cheer.